Community Concern Erewash have now launched their ‘Dementia Friendly Homes’ scheme and are taking referrals from partner organisations. The service will help Erewash residents who have dementia to remain living independently in their own home for longer.
Home adaptations offered under this scheme can include any / all of the following:
- Installing signage on doors, drawers and cupboards to help the person with dementia identify room locations and items in drawers and cupboards.
- Redecoration of bathroom walls to ensure the bathroom suite stands out from the walls.
- Installation of vibrantly coloured toilet seats and grab rails which contrast to the existing wall colours.
- Installation of light socket stickers to help these stand out from the wall.
- Improving lighting throughout the home (main ceiling light only) with modern energy efficient lighting.
- Removal of rugs and mirrors.
- Supplying tableware and crockery to stimulate an appetite and to assist with dexterity.
- Offering advice on dementia friendly flooring, as well as soft furnishing throughout the home.
- Signposting clients to partner organisations which may be of benefit to the person with dementia and/or their Carer.
Referrals are accepted via partner organisations and Healthcare Professionals. To make a referral please telephone Elaine Scogings on 0115 9444146.
Directory of Support Services for People with Dementia and their Carers
Community Concern Erewash have produced a Directory of Support Services for People with Dementia and Their Carers (Erewash Area). You can download and print this free of charge or alternatively we can post a copy to you for a nominal fee of £2.50 (this covers printing and postage costs). Please contact Kim 0115 9444146 firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy.
Books to Help Explain the affects of Dementia to Children
Struggling to find the right words to explain to your grandchildren how dementia affects people? Then this book could be for you ‘Lovely Old Lion’ by Julia Jarman and Susan Varley, available to purchase from amazon.co.uk for £6.99.
Alternatively Community Concern Erewash have this book for you to borrow. To request this book on loan please contact Elaine Scogings on 0115 9444146.